Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I hate Magic Drain and you should too

Default Why I hate Magic Drain and you should too

I just saw Pepe started a thread at BGG about the use of MD, since I found no such thread here, I want to bring the discussion here as well and see what other players think about it

check here for the said link

As for what I think about MD, I find it is perfectly fine, very well design, very well implemented card. Simply put, game needs these so call Catch Up card in order to prevent the game from swinging way way too fur into one end, aka "blow out"... without these police card to govern the game, it will not make a very fun game, more often than not

Take the TCG YGO for example, they have Mirror Force, Heavy Storm... both of which wipe clean every player's specific card on the board, preventing both player from just dumping their entire hand and steam roll into an auto-pilot mode

Then there is TCG Magic the gathering, they have wrath of god... etc but of course it is not as prominent in this game has a "land" system preventing player from dropping down everything... 1 land per turn means the game is forcing you to slow down and managing how much you can spend

in SW, there is no such system, you can drop all 5 card in the hand in order to mass summon, unlike land in mtg which are 1 per turn... so card like Magic Drain is there to govern the pace of the game... any player summon too much? they suffer. Now of course pepe's entire point is how MD forces player to genocide, to me that is far from the real fact. Yes, perhaps early glance one might see that MD forces such action but once you really think about it, it really doesnt, there is just so many way to counter genocide and not to mention almost every faction has their own CUE card... if I must change MD, I would probably make it draining 1 magic instead of 2 but at the current form, it is still fine... however I do have to say Pepe's own version of faction specific Magic Drain interesting

read it. Thought it was a pile of crap.

Nice way of putting the MD card, a philosophical view actually. I like this post, I think it would give hope to the noobs who won't know how to counter MD. You don't give specific ways of countering, but you let them know it's possible.
    Sera Eldwyn's boyfriend is a filthy cultististist in CoRT Round IX. Why is everyting so dirty, and filthy? I must clean everythings.

Whether it's used against me or not, Magick Drain is never a major worry or focus during my games.
    “Who's going to save you, little one?”
    “Paratine does. Paratine keeps good girls safe.” She couldn't pronounce her 'l's' properly.
    Ragnva clucked his tongue. “Oh, no, little one. He really doesn't.” Ragnva kicked her in the face and brought his boot down on her head.

I agree, Tisroero, that MD is never a focus or major concern, but there are certainly ways of countering the possible use of it from your opponent.

First and foremost, if you make sure you have as many - or less than - units as your opponent on the board, then they cannot use MD on you. And secondly, if they're holding it in hand in hopes of being able to use it later on, well then, you're forcing them to essentially play with 4-cards per round.

By my calculations, me having 5 cards to work with and them having 4 cards to work with would seem to work in my favor.

But at the end of the day, MD is not a concern. More troublesome is the likely champion they're going to summon with that Magic on the next turn or so.

I don't know how many people read PePe's original post, but I think as big a part of it was the fact that it changes the way people play (having less units on the board.) So its not as much the strat as it is the fact that it changes how the game is played. Which is why I think the MS is the way that it is. Its very common friendly and there aren't a lot of CUEs. In fact, the only one that has MD are the Benders, who's whole MO is to make you play differently.

But yeah, honestly, as much as its annoying as all heck to play someone who's really good when they're not playing any commons at all and still kick your ass, the MS really changes that for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I agree, Tisroero, that MD is never a focus or major concern, but there are certainly ways of countering the possible use of it from your opponent.

First and foremost, if you make sure you have as many - or less than - units as your opponent on the board, then they cannot use MD on you. And secondly, if they're holding it in hand in hopes of being able to use it later on, well then, you're forcing them to essentially play with 4-cards per round.

By my calculations, me having 5 cards to work with and them having 4 cards to work with would seem to work in my favor.

But at the end of the day, MD is not a concern. More troublesome is the likely champion they're going to summon with that Magic on the next turn or so.
    Exactly. These are usually my reasons for not seeing them as so threatening. Purposely being a douche and avoiding the prerequisites is fun as well. The squirming is fun to watch, and I know it works both ways cuz I've been stalled with reinforcements and Magick Drains myself and it wasn't pretty. Damn near lost against someone using a faction for their first time because I had been focusing too much on them.
    “Paratine does. Paratine keeps good girls safe.” She couldn't pronounce her 'l's' properly.
    Ragnva clucked his tongue. “Oh, no, little one. He really doesn't.” Ragnva kicked her in the face and brought his boot down on her head.

I think those of you who are saying Magic Drain is no big deal and it never bothers you are crazy. Magic Drain is an extremely powerful card. Of course it hurts. Just like it hurts if someone puts a Fire Drake or Miti Mumway on the board. To say, "oh, MD is no big deal, I don't care about it" is nothing more than macho bravado.

But while MD is certainly a very strong card, I don't agree with Pepe's premise that it makes the game less fun. I think it makes the game more fun. All of the objections seem to center around the idea that CUEs give you an incentive to have less units on the board. I think that's a good thing. There's already plenty of strategic incentive to have more units on the board. The CUE is an interesting counter to that that gives rise to lots of tricky meta-strategy. It does make for quieter and more cerebral games, and situations where players cautiously move only a couple of units and turn over cards slowly as opposed to each player summoning lots of units and taking all three hits every turn, but I like that.

Every deck has some good cards, and you anticipate them. If I'm playing against an MD deck, I just take it for granted that somewhere in the course of the game my opponent is going to take four magic from me. Just like I know at some point in the game FK is going to play Legions of the Dead, JE is going to play Chant of Haste, GD is going to play Gror, etc. You do what you can to limit the damage, maybe clogging their hand for a while if they draw it early but can't use it well and don't want to build it either, and if by chance you manage to thwart it altogether then so much the better.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by iglew View Post
    I think those of you who are saying Magic Drain is no big deal and it never bothers you are crazy. Magic Drain is an extremely powerful card. Of course it hurts. Just like it hurts if someone puts a Fire Drake or Miti Mumway on the board. To say, "oh, MD is no big deal, I don't care about it" is nothing more than macho bravado.
    Because nothing is more fun than stroking my ego, right? I use the Magick Drain Decks all the time, I know their shortcomings enough to know they aren't as threatening as they may seem.

Of course they are good events. But when your opponent is playing to counter them you're straight effed half the time cuz you'll be swarmed due to mass common play or by the sheer factor of them never having enough Magick to make it worthwhile off the bat. And even then, if they're playing to counter the event then even when you play it they'll have prepared and anticipated the event to happen. As much as it may seem, Magick Drain is not a bullet. It's something you can prepare for, and take to the gut without rolling over dead.

There's just too much that can go wrong if you try to force the event's conditions, as typically one isn't playing a brain-dead opponent.

Magick Drain is honestly only useful if your opponent is trying to outnumber you as their strategy, or if they've made a particularly successful attack phase; neither of which is something you really want to see.

Playing the player comes into focus as well. If your opponent successfully predicts you have one, expect to be countered and shut down, holding a useless event that slows you down, but that you never let go of due to the psychological value that Magick Drain has garnered.

It'll change the game's typical play, but it's not so much powerful as it is something that you'll just need to watch out for.

Magic Drain sucks balls.

When I play against my little brother I just build it as Magic because it's a mean card.

It's not a catch up card either, it doesn't balance the game. I can have 10 Magic with your Summoner down to 2 life and still use Magic Drain twice in a row.

They need to stop making Magic Drain events they are just plain annoying. I am sure everyone knows how to play against it, but it's still a douchey card.
    The Fallen Kingdom is Rising...