Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to play Summoner Wars online using Vassal

Default How to play Summoner Wars online using Vassal

Since the topic was brought up recently I figured I ought to make a little guide for using the Vassal engine to play Summoner Wars. That's better than having to explain to everyone I meet there, right?

I. Introduction
    II. Getting Started
    III. Setting up the Game
    IV. Playing the Game
    V. FAQs

I. Introduction

So you want to play Summoner Wars but there's nobody around? Welcome to Vassal, a free program that facilitates online matchmaking and playing of hundreds of board games. Some nice person made a module for playing Summoner Wars and you can enjoy a near-identical tabletop experience with your fellow summoners from around the globe!

Note that Vassal SW doesn't "play" the game for you. It merely provides an interface to display the board and the cards. You will still have to police yourselves on deck building restrictions, initial setup, movement and attack rules, rolling the dice, etc.

II. Getting Started

Step 1: Get Vassal.
    http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php
    Download and install it.

Step 2: Get the Summoner Wars Module.
    http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Summoner_Wars
    Download it and save it to a place where you can find it again.

Step 3: Open the Module.
    Run the Vassal program and then choose "File" and "Open Module." Find the place where you put the Summoner Wars Module and open it.

You should see something like this:

Double click where it says "Summoner Wars" to launch the setup wizard.

Choose "Look for a game online" and click "Finish."

Note: At some point you will have been asked to create a username and password, but I don't remember where that was and I don't feel like uninstalling & reinstalling just to find out.

Step 4: Find an opponent

Now because I'm writing this tutorial at 5 in the morning for some reason, there's no one else online right now.

But if there were, you could see their names on the list on the right side. You can type in the big window for general chat or open a window for private chat by right-clicking on their name.

III. Setting up the Game

The first thing your game needs is a name. Think of something really clever and type it into the "New Game" box, then hit enter. Your opponent, as well as anybody else who may want to watch your game, clicks on the game name.

You and your opponent should agree on who will be Summoner 1 and Summoner 2. (Summoner 1 plays at the bottom of the screen, Summoner 2 players at the top and feels a little bit upside-down.)

Both you and your opponent (as well as anyone who wishes to watch the game) need to select "File" and then "New Game." From the drop down menu choose your position in the incipient game (this would be "Summoner 1" or "Summoner 2" or possibly observer.)

After both you and your opponent have taken your places, the next thing you want to do is build your deck. This is a good time to familiarize yourself with the following buttons and what they do.

Note that most of these buttons open windows that are very large and so you'll want to resize them immediately.

So to build your deck, starting by picking the race you want. Use your Summoner Reference Card (ie the physical one that you own IRL) to help you choose the units you need as you click and drag them onto the board.

Next build your draw deck by dragging your Unit and Event cards onto the Draw pile on the board. Remember to follow the deck-building rules -- the Vassal mod won't tell you if you make a mistake! (Note that the chat log will record what you've put in so far, and the number beside the draw pile says how many cards are in so far).

After you are finished building your deck you can hide the Cards window to make for more space on your desktop.

Finally shuffle your deck by right-clicking it and choosing "Shuffle." (Note: cool people use hotkeys, such as Ctrl+S to shuffle).

IV. Playing the Game

Now you're ready to play!

You'll be rolling plenty of dice in this game, and thankfully the mod has a built-in d6 roller. (Cool people hotkey is Ctrl+D). Unfortunately the nature of its randomness has come into question lately, not that we can prove anything. So you might decide to pick an independent Random Number Generator. Or attach a webcam to your dice tower. Whatever.

It's good courtesy to announce what your dice roll is for before throwing them.

To move a card from one space to another, simply click and drag. To move something into your hand from the board, simply click and drag. To draw cards from your draw pile into your hand, simply click and drag. Et cetera.

Add or remove wounds to a card by right-clicking it and choosing the number of wounds you want on it.

If you need to move more than 1 unit at a time (let's say you have some cards under a reaper or Blarf) you can click and drag to create a box to select the entire stack.

One noobie mistake that everyone makes has to do with flipping cards over. When cards are in your hand your opponent only sees the back side. You can tell the difference because it will say "Face Down" in white letters. After you summon a unit or place a wall you need to right-click it and choose flip (Ctrl-F for cool people) so your opponent can see it too.

V. FAQ

How do I save and load decks?

1) When you build your deck, pull all of the cards onto the Summoner Wars logo on the top or bottom of the board. MAKE SURE TO PUT THE STARTER CARDS FIRST

2) When the whole deck is stacked there, right click and choose Save. Save it to somewhere you'll remember.

3) When you start a game, just right click the SW logo and choose Load.

4) Your deck will appear face up there. Right click and choose "Use this Deck"

5) Pull your starting cards off the top of the deck and setup. Game on!

(thanks to killercactus for the answer)

I tried to watch a game but I can see nothing! What do I do?

If you didn't observe a game from the start you will be out of sync. Right-click the name of somebody in the game and select synchronize.

All the cards face the same way! How can I tell whose Khan Queso is whose?

Right click a card and choose "Change Owner" (or use Ctrl+O if you are a cool person). That will make the red outliney border change to blue and you can distinguish between them.

Note: If you play mirror matches this would also come in handy, but if you play mirror matches you are a pretty boring person.

I like to play FK, but dragging my whole discard pile open to find something is a pain. Is there an easier way?

Right click on your discard pile and choose draw specific cards. You can choose from a list which cards you want to draw they'll be on the top of your discard pile for you.

(thanks to KCU Master for the answer)

I'm trying to play as the Cloaks, but their "Spy" card is not listed among the events. Where is it?

For some reason it's in the "Core Set" category with Vlox and the other units. Hopefully this will be fixed for the next version.

I like to play SW on Vassal in the late hours of the night. Surely nothing bad will happen at this time!

Every night at 3AM EST (near as we can tell) the Vassal server shuts down and restarts. If you find yourself playing near to this hour, you need to get a life. Oh, and also probably you should save the game before the restart and load it back up after you reboot Vassal.

How do I put a card on the bottom of a Draw Pile?
    Drag the card to the draw pile and then press the down arrow. There is no confirmation in the chat log to confirm this worked, but trust us, it does. And that will be fixed in the next version.
    Last edited by Clarissimus; 02-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.

I have thought of doing what was always too lazy, also i "borrow" wireless internet at home so never became a regular player.
    Itīd be cool if you add how to load the decks, saves a lot of time when starting a game. (Just right click in the Summoner Wars logo, between your draw pile and magic pile).

And yes, that roller sucks. It makes playing the PE even better.

edit: added the decks here for them being easier to find
    edit2: scratch that, the roler is fine
    and updated the file with the MR and FL decks for module 1.37
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by PePe QuiCoSE; 06-20-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Wow, great job Clarissmus!

Let's hope it gets a bunch of player online in the coming days. I'm totally set for it. (He's right though....the randomizer is cruddy. In my GD deck it threw all 5 of my defenders in a row, and a Spy card was looking at all 5 of my defenders. Also it seems extremely stringy, so you roll all misses or all hits way more often than I would think.)

But great tutorial, anyone who wants some online games should get this and just sit online. I'll probably be on this evening/night again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 33-16

Great Tutorial. This really helped me in my first game.

Guys - I figured out how to build and save decks so you don't have to build one everytime.

1) When you build your deck, pull all of the cards onto the Summoner Wars logo on the top or bottom of the board. MAKE SURE TO PUT THE STARTER CARDS FIRST

2) When the whole deck is stacked there, right click and choose Save. Save it to somewhere you'll remember.

3) When you start a game, just right click the SW logo and choose Load.

4) Your deck will appear face up there. Right click and choose "Use this Deck"

5) Pull your starting cards off the top of the deck and setup. Game on!
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Two questions:

First, is there a way to hop in and watch a game already in progress?

Second, concerning the Spy Event card. How do you control which two cards are going to the top of the draw pile and which ones go to the bottom of the draw pile?
    The Books of Summoner Wars...someone had to do it
    35-27 on Vassal (56%) - MOST RECENT: SE vs VG/thenightsshadow

Vassal Tourney: 3-1 for 3rd Place

KCU's FanFic (updated 6-18-12)

Putting 2 on top should be easy - I think you just drag them back onto the draw pile.

The bottom is more difficult. THe only way I know after screwing with it last night is to pull the entire deck onto the SW logo, put those 2 cards on top of the stack, then right click and pick use this deck.

Maybe if you hold CTRL and drag a card onto the draw pile it will go to the bottom?

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I was wondering how you watch a Game to.. It say to become an observer but then you can't see the board that is being played on any help.
    Always looking for vassal game just PM me or leave a visitor message to play.

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    The bottom is more difficult. THe only way I know after screwing with it last night is to pull the entire deck onto the SW logo, put those 2 cards on top of the stack, then right click and pick use this deck.

Maybe if you hold CTRL and drag a card onto the draw pile it will go to the bottom?
    I guess you could just set those 2 cards next to the draw pile and then the other player just pulls them into their hand at the end?

It'll get tougher with Owl Familiars hanging around.....

Im going to go on this now. Anyone else about?
    I am AMALIA the Shadow Elf Scout in Tundle's Counterattack