Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: killercactus' Custom Factions

It's been a while since I updated my customs thread, and I had an idea after watching Deathly Hallows, Part II

Lord Voldemort (gasp!)
    Summoner of the Death Eaters
    Attack: 1 (Ranged)
    Life: 2
    Summon: ~
    Avada Kedavra: Lord Voldemort may not use this ability when there are 2 or more Wound Markers on this card. Whenever a Common or Champion Unit is wounded by an attack from Lord Voldemort, you may spend 2 Magic Points to immediately destroy it. When attacking a Summoner, Add 3 to Lord Voldemort's attack value.

Tom Riddle's Diary x1
    Life: 1
    When played, place this card on an empty space on your side of the battlefield. While on the battlefield, Tom Riddle's Diary only receives Wounds on die results of 5 or higher and Lord Voldemort cannot be destroyed. At any time during your turn, you may choose a Common Unit adjacent to Tom Riddle's Diary and spend Magic Points equal to that Unit's summoning cost to take control of the chosen Unit.
    Slytherin's Locket x1
    When played, place this card on an empty space on your side of the battlefield. While on the battlefield, Slytherin's Locket only receives Wounds on die results of 5 or higher and Lord Voldemort cannot be destroyed. When Slytherin's Locket is destroyed by an attack from a Common or Champion Unit, place 2 Wound Markers on that Unit.
    Hufflepuff's Cup x1
    When played, place this card on an empty space on your side of the battlefield. While on the battlefield, Hufflepuff's Cup only receives Wounds on die results of 5 or higher and Lord Voldemort cannot be destroyed. At the end of your turn, place 1 Wound Marker on each Unit adjacent to Hufflepuff's Cup.
    Marvolo Gaunt's Ring x1
    When played, place this card on an empty space on your side of the battlefield. While on the battlefield, Marvolo Gaunt's Ring only receives Wounds on die results of 5 or higher and Lord Voldemort cannot be destroyed. Instead of attacking with Lord Voldemort, you may spend 2 Magic Points to place a Common Unit from your Discard pile adjacent to Marvolo Gaunt's Ring.
    The Diadem of Ravenclaw x1
    When played, place this card on an empty space on your side of the battlefield. While on the battlefield, the Diadem of Ravenclaw only receives Wounds on die results of 5 or higher and Lord Voldemort cannot be destroyed. When this card is adjacent to Lord Voldemort, before your Draw phase, you may look at the top 3 cards of your Draw pile and place 1 of them on top of your Magic Pile. If you do, place the other cards on the bottom of your Draw pile in any order.
    Imperio x2
    Whenever a Common or Champion Unit is wounded by Lord Voldemort, a Death Eater Champion other than Nagini, or a Loyal Death Eater this turn, you may spend Magic Points equal to that Unit's summon cost to take control of that Unit and remove all Wound Markers from its card. If the chosen Unit is a Champion, roll a die at the end of each of your turns. If you roll a 1 or 2, control of the Champion returns to the opponent.
    Crucio x2
    Whenever a Common or Champion Unit is wounded by Lord Voldemort, a Death Eater Champion other than Nagini, or a Loyal Death Eater this turn, you may spend 2 Magic Points. Place 2 additional Wound Markers on that Unit's card and that Unit and may not move or attack until the beginning of your next turn.
    Bellatrix Lestrange
    Champion of the Death Eaters
    Attack: 2 (Ranged)
    Life: 5
    Summon: 7
    Crazed Assault: Whenever Bellatrix Lestrange wounds a Unit, she may immediately attack again with 1 die. Bellatrix may continue attacking until she does not inflict a wound.

Lucius Malfoy
    Life: 6
    Summon: 3
    Second Thoughts: At the end of your turn while Lucius Malfoy is on the battlefield, roll a die. If you roll a 1, discard this card.

Nagini
    Attack: 4 (Melee)
    Life: 3
    Summon: 7
    Horcrux: Nagini may be placed adjacent to Lord Voldemort instead of a Wall when summoned. When Nagini is adjacent to Lord Voldemort, she only receives Wounds from die results of 5 or higher. While Nagini is on the battlefield, Lord Voldemort cannot be destroyed.

Dementor (x5)
    Common of the Death Eaters
    Attack: 1 (Melee)
    Summon: 3
    Aura of Despair: Enemy Units adjacent to this Dementor may not move and may roll no more than 1 die when attacking.

Giant (x5)
    Attack: 3 (Melee)
    Summon: 4
    Wild Swing: Before attacking with this Giant, roll a die. If you roll a 4 or higher, all cards adjacent to this Giant are affected by the attack.

Loyal Death Eater (x8)
    Summon: 2
    Dark Mark: After moving this Loyal Death Eater, you may spend 1 Magic Point and place 1 other Loyal Death Eater, Death Eater Champion other than Nagini, or Summoner you control adjacent to this Loyal Death Eater.

Starting setup for Lord Voldemort:

S = Voldemort
    A = Dementor
    B = Giant
    C = Loyal Death Eater
    W = Wall

[A] [X] [X] [X] [X] [B]
    [X] [X] [X] [W][X] [X]
    [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X]
    [X] [X] [C] [S] [C] [X]
    Last edited by killercactus; 10-06-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Cool. I love Harry Potter and you've captured Lord Voldemort's army very well here. Turning the horcruxes into events is a cool idea, but you made them very hard to destroy. This, in turn, makes it almost impossible to kill Voldemort. Voldemort's crazy amount of power in the movies and boooks does not transfer well into Summoner Wars.
    "Tell me about your mother." - Colby

Quote Originally Posted by The Wall View Post
    Cool. I love Harry Potter and you've captured Lord Voldemort's army very well here. Turning the horcruxes into events is a cool idea, but you made them very hard to destroy. This, in turn, makes it almost impossible to kill Voldemort. Voldemort's crazy amount of power in the movies and boooks does not transfer well into Summoner Wars.
    I agree - it is hard to kill him. I've tried to make his commons very expensive to compensate for this, and other than protect him, those Events really don't seem earth-shattering to me, except maybe the Diadem. I thought he needed something to give him some magic though since so much stuff costs magic to use.

Also, remember that he only has 2 life. With expensive commons and only 4 starting on the board, he's vulnerable to a quick strike from the opponent before he can get a bunch of Horcruxes down. Dementors help that, but again, they're expensive. If he doesn't see the Diadem until late, Voldemort is gonna have trouble summoning units to protect him (though he admittedly has 5 de facto walls he can throw down). It does get really tough to kill Voldemort while Nagini is next to him, I suppose. Maybe Nagini should cost a bit more....

Also realize that he can be wounded even when he has Horcruxes down. If you put 2 wounds on him, he loses Avada Kedavra and dies as soon as the last Horcrux is destroyed. While that's not very thematic, it serves to balance him out in SW a bit.

I might have to back up the starting positions of the Dementor and Giant because it might be tough on the opponent with so much life starting out on the board in advanced positions.

Also, if the Horcruxes prove too tough to destroy on 5's or higher with 1 life, I could drop it down to 4 or higher. I want to convey though that they are difficult to destroy, and I feel that they need to be since they basically make up Voldemort's life points and they don't start on the board. 5 or higher with 1 Life really isn't that tough (33% chance to kill on 1 die).
    Last edited by killercactus; 07-26-2011 at 12:44 PM.

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Default love it

I really like what you've done with this faction KC, but I wonder if this deck might actually be a bit too vulnerable on turn 1.

Off the top of my head, Cave goblins, Jungle elves, Tundra Orcs all stand some chance of killing you before you even get a turn if things go their way.

Even if you do last a turn or two, this deck is very vulnerable until it draws a horcrux, and the expensive commons only make survival even more challenging.

I think many decks will just use their manouverability to get early shots on Voldemort.

That said, I think you've caught the character of the Death Eaters perfectly, so I don't think I'd change the rules at all. Maybe fortify Voldemort a little better with the starting set up? Perhaps pull the wall back a space, and/or put one of those beefy commons in a more defensive position.

I'd like to see more of this faction. I hope you consider doing some reinforcements - how about Fenrir Greyback as another champion? In fact, I vaguely remember reading that Voldemort had werewolves in his army, so you could consider them as commons too. Were the spiders on his side? I remember seeing one or two in the movie.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas. Great faction!
    RoloCookie is Bigrumpth the Charger

RoloCookie was Guzror the Thwarter in the First Encounter.
    RoloCookie was Magos in the Second Wave.
    RoloCookie was Gror in Tiram's Charge.
    RoloCookie was Mook in Curse of Sairook.
    RoloCookie was Owl Familiar in Dungeon of the stone
    RoloCookie was Lucio the Slasher in Mind Trick Manor
    RoloCookie was Stabbins in Battle for the Stones
    RoloCookie was Sera Eldwyn in the Fortune of Princess Kreeps

Quote Originally Posted by RoloCookie View Post
    I really like what you've done with this faction KC, but I wonder if this deck might actually be a bit too vulnerable on turn 1.

Off the top of my head, Cave goblins, Jungle elves, Tundra Orcs all stand some chance of killing you before you even get a turn if things go their way.
    Actually, the TO can't without an insane amount of luck. The forward Fighter is immediately stuck in the Aura of Despair from the starting Dementor, which means the back Fighter has to Fury off of his own wall, then the Smasher, then the DE wall, and then hit Voldything twice. Sure it could happen, but I don't see it too often.

The CG would need a Goblin Rush to do it, which means you'll get at least one turn for that LDE or Giant to get rid of the foremost Fighter. Moving the Dementor over will help a lot, too. Ditto for the JE, as they need a CoH.

Having said all of that, pulling the starting wall back a space might not be a terrible idea. Part of the problem though is that I feel like he needs to be vulnerable early, because once the Horcruxes drop (or Albus-forbid, Nagini), You Know Who becomes pretty tough to get rid of (The Sword of Gryffindor helps, though )

Quote Originally Posted by RoloCookie
    Even if you do last a turn or two, this deck is very vulnerable until it draws a horcrux, and the expensive commons only make survival even more challenging.

I think many decks will just use their manouverability to get early shots on Voldemort.
    I agree. I think I'd want to test out just how vulnerable it is before I change anything. The first time I typed it out, I gave Voldemort 3 life. That might be the answer too.... I think that starting Dementor will be key in protecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by RoloCookie
    That said, I think you've caught the character of the Death Eaters perfectly, so I don't think I'd change the rules at all. Maybe fortify Voldemort a little better with the starting set up? Perhaps pull the wall back a space, and/or put one of those beefy commons in a more defensive position.

I'd like to see more of this faction. I hope you consider doing some reinforcements - how about Fenrir Greyback as another champion? In fact, I vaguely remember reading that Voldemort had werewolves in his army, so you could consider them as commons too. Were the spiders on his side? I remember seeing one or two in the movie.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas. Great faction!
    Thanks! I'm a huge Potter head, so I want to keep as much of the theme as possible. Greyback and Wormtail were my next ideas for champions, and maybe Snape. Acromantulas and Inferi will be the reinforcement commons. I'm going to do an Order of the Phoenix faction very soon as well (maybe today - Snape will be a champion in this faction as well). I'm trying to come up with some commons for them though.... so far, I just have "Auror". Any ideas?
    Last edited by killercactus; 07-26-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I'll admit, I really didn't factor in the Dementor's ability. I also forgot that you don't get event cards if your the first player. It wouldn't be as bad as I thought. But still, Cloaks and JE for example could feasibly chip him away on the first 2 or 3 turns. You're right though, defensive use of dementors, particularly that starting one could battle that.

Inferi is a really cool idea for a common, but I completely can't remember what Acromantulas are *checks HP wiki.....* aha, spiders

Yeah, those are great ideas, I look forward to seeing them.

I'll admit, I'm struggling with Order of the Pheonix commons question. The best I can come up with so far is "House Elf"

Edit: Trying to remember what was actually in that house they used, could you do something with Ghosts or even paintings?
    Last edited by RoloCookie; 07-26-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: new (rather weak) ideas

Yeah - I would think that Voldemort would be pretty darn scared of factions like Cloaks, Jungle Elves and Shadow Elves.

House Elves are an interesting idea for a common. If I could figure out one more, I'd be in good shape. I suppose I could just default to "Hippogriff"....

EDIT: Actually, I think instead of the Order, I'll go with Staff of Hogwarts as the opposing faction. That opens up all kinds of ideas for commons, such as house elves, students, ghosts, suits of armor, etc. Dumbledore is still the summoner, and the champs then become McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, Sprout, Hagrid and one other staff member (Slughorn? Trelawney? Filch? Peeves?!??! The Whomping Willow????)
    Last edited by killercactus; 07-26-2011 at 03:48 PM.

All great ideas again, I think Filch is an interesting one, and the whomping willow is excellent XD

Still planning to have "Auror"? That's not particularly Hogwarts related, how about "Prefect"

This idea is almost TOO rich for a faction There are dozens of things you could have as commons, champs and events. You might have to start thinking about your second summoner

Hagrid could almost have a faction of his own, with Fang, that Giant brother of his, perhaps Arragog, Buckbeak, that Centaur (was it a centaur) and then various forest creatures as commons: centaurs, spiders, unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by RoloCookie View Post
    All great ideas again, I think Filch is an interesting one, and the whomping willow is excellent XD

Still planning to have "Auror"? That's not particularly Hogwarts related, how about "Prefect"

This idea is almost TOO rich for a faction There are dozens of things you could have as commons, champs and events. You might have to start thinking about your second summoner

Hagrid could almost have a faction of his own, with Fang, that Giant brother of his, perhaps Arragog, Buckbeak, that Centaur (was it a centaur) and then various forest creatures as commons: centaurs, spiders, unicorns.
    Yeah... I could probably get an entire faction out of the Forbidden Forest if Hagrid could find a way to get his hands on a Summoning Stone.

I'm having trouble coming up with an ability for Dumbledore. Nothing I think of seems to really fit him. I thought about something called "Headmaster" though, since the deck is really based more around Hogwarts than around Dumbledore.

I figure the Hogwarts deck will look something like this:

Summoner
    Albus Dumbledore

Champions
    Minerva McGonagall
    Severus Snape
    Filius Flitwick

Commons
    House Elf
    Ghost
    Suit of Armor (I need these in here, because I want McGonagall's ability to be Piertotum Locomotor - she'll probably resemble Holleas somewhat).

Events
    Secret Passage x3
    Peeves x2
    The Whomping Willow x1
    The Room of Requirement x1
    The Sword of Gryffindor x1
    Fawkes x1

Reinforcements
    Pomona Sprout

Gryffindor Student
    Ravenclaw Student
    Hufflepuff Student

I just saw this upsate today and it is awesome KC! I'm so going to print off these and play them against the Hogwarts staff once their done.
    The Books of Summoner Wars...someone had to do it
    35-27 on Vassal (56%) - MOST RECENT: SE vs VG/thenightsshadow

Vassal Tourney: 3-1 for 3rd Place

KCU's FanFic (updated 6-18-12)

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast